|Yūsuke Fujisaki / Bossun|
|Age||16 (chapters 1-86)|
17 (chapters 87-present)
|Birthday||November 11, 1992 (manga)|
November 11, 1994 (anime)
|School||Kaimei High School|
|Class||2-C (chapters 1-209)|
3-C (chapters 210-present)
|Likes||Fried food, mandarin jelly, hamburgers, robots|
|Dislikes||Ghosts and phantoms|
|Relatives||Akane Fujisaki (mother) |
Rumi Fujisaki (younger sister)
Haru Kirishima (biological mother)
Ryōsuke Kirishima (biological father)
Sasuke Tsubaki (twin brother)
|Manga Debut||Chapter 1|
|Anime Debut||Episode 1|
Yūsuke Fujisaki (藤崎 佑助), or Bossun (ボッスン), as he is more commonly called, is the leader of the Sket Dan.
On his fifteenth birthday, Yūsuke discovered that he was not truly related to his mother, Akane, and his sister, Rumi. His biological parents were Akane's close friends Haru and Ryōsuke, who were both involved in separate car-related accidents on the day of his birth. His mother died shortly after he and his twin brother Sasuke were born, and his father died to save a child in the street.
Not certain how to handle this new information and the idea that he was utterly without blood relatives, Yūsuke ran away from home and wandered around aimlessly. After meeting Taisuke, who had been the child his father saved, Yūsuke received the present that Ryōsuke had meant to give to Haru after the birth. The letter inside, written to the then-unborn children, talked about how they should help other people. However, angry that his father's mentality had resulted in the man's death, Yūsuke flung down the letters and claimed that he would only live for himself. After watching some upperclassmen bully a student his age, he discovered that he had truly inherited his parents' blood because he couldn't resist stepping in to help (the student was later revealed as Tsubaki) - though he ended up being beaten himself. Later, after having accepted his circumstances, he returned home and continued to live with Akane and Rumi, stating that they are the only family he has ever known.
Bossun has messy dark hair that curls upward on either side, above his ears. He is almost always seen wearing a red, horned Poppman cap and goggles. His most common outfit consists of a white shirt with the sleeves rolled up over a blue-and-white shirt of his own design which has the word SKET across the front, blue knee-length shorts, black bands on both ankles, and a pair of sandals. He wears wristbands on both wrists - one with red, white and blue stripes and the other with the Sket Dan symbol on black. Attached to his shirt are several pin buttons. He has a wide range of facial expressions, most notably his "embarrassed" face, where he purses his lips comically.
Bossun is particularly know for his enthusiasm in helping others, he has a positive mood which makes him very optimistic. He is kind-hearted, and is very righteous. He is also a little wierd, establishing a club that helps students and as stated by Himeko. Bossun will do anything to get the request done and right, even if it causes him humiliation and embarrasment.
Major Story Arcs
The Fake Onihime
Gachinko Vivage Battle
Kaimei Rock Festival
Bossun's 17th Birthday
Defeat the Fortune Teller
You've Got Mail!
School Trip Rhapsody
Bossun, Switch and a group of male classmates plan to go on a camping trip with Remi's brother Shin during Golden Week. However, when Remi manages to break Shin's car, the trip is cancelled and the Sket Dan end up traveling to Osaka instead, as per an invitation from Himeko's old friend Sumire. However, when Himeko discovers that Sumire is being extorted by an ex-boyfriend, she secretly goes to confront him and ends up kidnapped.
As soon as Bossun and Switch realize this, they figure out Himeko's location and go to rescue her. Things get serious when her kidnappers turn out to be a gang who ambush Bossun and Switch and knock them unconscious before tying them up. Though the pair are able to free themselves, Switch is attacked soon after and it's up to Bossun to rescue Himeko on his own. Using his slingshot and concentration mode, he takes out the gang members one by one until coming face-to-face with their leader, Tsune, who has Himeko captive.
Tsune manages to rid Bossun of his remaining ammo, and the latter ends up shooting a takoyaki ball as a result. Using Tsune's momentary distraction, Bossun punches him in the face. After he unties Himeko, she suddenly hugs him with relief and he finds himself at a loss as to how to respond - hesitating to return the hug.
At the end of Golden Week, Sumire comments to Switch on the relationship between Bossun and Himeko before seeing the trio off.
- Concentration Mode: Bossun is able to utilize an extraordinary level of perception when he equips his goggles and mentally recalls relevant facts to the problem at hand. His perceptiveness is so keen that he can even make out distant sounds in the background of a phone call. This level of concentration also makes him an excellent shot with the pachinko ball slingshot he uses as a weapon. After using this ability, he often ends up taking deep breaths like a diver resurfacing.
- Artistic Talent: He is, comically, an extraordinary artist - both in 2-dimensional and 3-dimensional form, as evidenced by his stints making origami and figurines. His fellow club members have joked that his artistic talent is a strange one for a manga protagonist.
- Vocal/Facial Impressions: He is able to do spot-on impressions of various characters and Japanese celebrities, such as comedian Rakutarō Sanyūtei and baseball player Eiji Bandō.
- Himeko: His relationship with Himeko is complicated - they aren't lovers, but they are undeniably more than friends or very close friends. In the 'School Trip Rhapsody' arc, Bossun even says himself that he has never thought about his feelings towards Himeko. At one point, when he suspects that Himeko is dating Katō, he becomes irritated whenever he sees them together. Also, he is just like his father, his father was very childish about love. In highschool Akane asks how Ryōsuke felt about Haru. He told her they were just friends. Also, when Yusuke thinks about marrying he thinks back to the time where Himeko and himself had the talk and thought about her.
- Roman Saotome: Thanks to her Otome Filter, Roman fell in love with Bossun from first sight without actually knowing it was him. Roman refers to him as "my prince" and he once saved her from being hit by a truck. She has an obvious schoolgirl crush on him, though it is not expanded upon much.
- Saaya Agata: At first, Saaya treated Bossun just like any other Sket Dan client, since she just needed the club's help. Since Bossun helped her a lot, Saaya begin developing romantic feelings for him. Though she eventually confessed to him, she was indirectly rejected. He still sees her as a friend, and allows her to come to the clubroom anytime she wants.
- Sasuke Tsubaki: Though they are twins, they view each other as rivals and end up fighting or arguing whenever they meet. Despite this, they do have some brotherly moments and, as others have noted, they are actually more alike than they'd admit. Since discovering their relationship, they are more apt to asking each other for advice or assistance - though usually they require a push from their respective club members.
- Shinohara states that Bossun's surname is a combination of the character "fuji" (藤) from Fujiko F. Fujio and the character "saki" (崎) from Hayao Miyazaki. His first name comes from the musician Yūsuke Chiba.
- Bossun is right-handed and the first kanji of his name consists of the radical 右, which means "right."
- In episode 60, Bossun states that he has no problem with his grades since he's good at memorizing except for math.
- To Akane: "I'm alive through the help of a lot of people. I'm here now because you're here, mother. I'm glad you became my parent. I'm really lucky." (Episode 47)